How hard could it be? (building a computer)

just as the name says chat about anything here

How hard could it be? (building a computer)

Postby witchy on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 pm

So i got this email add from tiger direct and about half way down the page there was this little artical called tips & techniques about how to build a computer. its on this page if you want to read it
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =A107-2000

So after reading that i decided to give it a go. And sence i can :) ill post here how it goes. And im thinking if i can do this and it works then most anyone can. So here is the list of parts i picked out after much reading and reviewing on newegg.com because if your shopping to build a computer its the only place you need to go. and the reviews are very helpful. So after reading that tips thing i went to look for a processer first as it says to. and from there its really just picking things that work together. And reading lots of reviews on each part.
This is the list of parts. and why i picked them.
cooler master centurion 534- price, front ports, right size atx
western digital raptor 150GB hard drive-speed
evga 320-p2-n815-ar geforce 8800gts-price v.what it can do :D
rosewill 550w power supply-cables nice, price, power
corsair xms2 2gb ddr2 800 ram-good name brand on sale
asus p5n32-e sli plus-built in overclocking tools, high quality, highly upgradeable.
intel core 2 duo e6400 conroe 2.13 ghz processor-can OC to 3.0ghz with factory heatsink and fan- so i figured it would be alot cheeper than buying a faster processer. lots and lots of reviews said this was possible. so we will see.
xp pro with vista upgrade coupon-cuz vista scares me.
i should have takin pictures befor i started but didnt think of it so all i have so far is the mother board in the case and the power supply. Ill post as i go and would be happy to hear from anyone with questions or comments as im pretty clueless on this too but all the parts come with really big instruction books :) so at least ill learn lots along the way.

witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Naysa on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 am

Wow that is looking really cool. Am looking forward to seeing it done step by step. :D
Naysa
tadpole
tadpole

Postby Naysa on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 am

What will be very interesting is how this compares to one already made. I have a feeling it will run better and last longer. Also keep up posted how hard it is to do.
Naysa
tadpole
tadpole

Postby ProHandyman on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:48 pm

Since I've been lured here by the admin (I am the admin of a computer tech site), I'll be glad to offer up suggestions and hints as the work progresses. Anyone that feels like asking me questions, feel free! I'll answer the best I can

I have built over 50 computers of varying complexity over the years; some my own, many for others obviously! :P My computers can be found all over the nation, and even one in Scotland!

My current computer in the build process can be found [url=http://forums.redbarncomputers.com/viewtopic.php?t=155[url]HERE[/url]. It has been 3 years in the making. Hardware constantly changing due to time lapsed, and requirements. I have been battling cancer, so that is why I have been at it so long!

OK! First comment! It is much easier to install your cpu, mount your CPU heatsink, and install your memory outside of the case on the foam pad the motherboard came in (and on a hard surface, NOT your bed or couch! :lol: I also find it easier to do my initial "Post" and burn in outside the case; that way any problems can be easily fixed or sorted!

Keep up the work! Building your own "box" can be very gratifying, and you will know what you have in there, not what some big box manufacturer thinks you need, or a propietory part that you will probably never be able to replace, or get up to date drivers for!
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 pm

lol lured huh? the original thing i read making me think i could do this also said to do that stuff b4 installing MB but all the directions from both MB and cpu say to install mb first and as im new to this i was following the instrutions carefully. also have no idea what this means
I also find it easier to do my initial "Post" and burn in outside the case
im really really new to all this.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:24 am

"First POST" is starting the bare components the first time. I usually have just the: power supply, floppy drive (if using), CD/DVD ROM, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I can power up using a screw driver, or take some switches from an old case (since I do this all the time, I have a neat liitle panel that does everything your case buttons and lights would do). This will allow me to see if the basic components will "power up", allow me to run "memtest" (check for memory and cpu errors, especially for over-clocking), boot a BartPE disk that has other burn-in and stress tests, or update the motherboards BIOS to the latest and greatest (almost ALWAYS suggested with newer boards).

Not saying you have to do this, but I find working in the tight confines of a case (unless it is a server case) just unbareable, especially if I am having problems with my new hardware.

HOWEVER, I don't have little curious hands anywhere near my work areas! :roll:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby RedMan on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:42 pm

As I have just built a new computer myself using the exact same motherboard I can say that it's far easier to install the heatsink/fan with the CPU and motherboard already installed in the case. There was no foam in this package and doing it outside the case would make it very difficult to install this particular kind of heatsink.
RedMan
pollywog
pollywog

Postby witchy on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:49 pm

lol those little hands are crazy fast when they see all the snakes and aliens commin outta the big balck box on the table. Makes for a more challanging build. :shock:
And putting it together inside the case will give me a bit more time to dodge the incomming attacks. But i think from here on out ill have to wait till after bed time cuz im gettin to the tricky stuff next.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:53 pm

As I have just built a new computer myself using the exact same motherboard I can say that it's far easier to install the heatsink/fan with the CPU and motherboard already installed in the case.

Although the stock HSF can be installed with the motherboard in the case, most all after market coolers require the motherboard be out of the case. The other reason for this suggestion, is that many people crack the mobo in the case when installing memory... the few standoffs don't alsways support the mobo where you need it the most (have seen way to much of that).

Don't worry about the speghetti! Hook up only a minimal amount of items to do that first POST, and even windows install. This will make trouble shooting much easier, and Windows install go faster,; especially with items that require drivers that Windows does not contain... or memory card readers! Memory card readers will really goof up your drive letters if you install Windows with them hooked up!

Once you know your stable (run 2 instances of Super Pi over night), you can then add the rest of your hardware, software. OH BTW, don't "Activate" Windows until ALL your hardware is installed physically and drivers installed!
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:45 pm

i did get a card reader to install but iv read enough to not install it untill after the puter is up and running and everything else is installed.
And ill be very carefull with the memory install. Redman my very helpful and patient (musta asked him a billion questions by now) friend has pre warned me about how tight the memory slots are. and i guess i will work up the nerve to turn it on after cpu memory and grafix card are in like it says to.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Make sure you don't forget that Heatsink for the CPU! Also, make sure you connect all the motherboard power connectors! Forgetting one will either cause instability, or no POST. This is especially important with that beast of a video card you've gotten! :twisted:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:08 pm

weeee i got a beep!! k back to building, holy crap this is exciting.... ok i might be a geek :wink:
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:54 pm

Ah, the successful sound of the single POST Beep! Now it's all about the finish of the build, and the hours of installing all your favorite software! ;-)
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:04 pm

wow! did i learn alot today.
1. if you find yourself standing on a kitchen chair to get levrage to push in heatsink fasten screws, something is not right get off the chair and rethink your technique.
So after i got down off the chair i relized that 2 of the 4 went in pretty easy so must be the other 2 might just need a little adjusting. i turned them like i was undoing them then turned them back like they needed to be to get installed and they went right in like they are supose to. and putting in the cpu was so easy i thought maybe i did something wrong. you pretty much just drop it in its spot and shut the door. so here is heatsink and cpu (under heatsink) installed

2. If you get a monster grafixs card that takes up 2 slots, u need to sqwish the little metal bit inbetween the slots that sticks inwards cuz it wont let the card sit right if you dont.
and just cuz its pretty
and here it is all installed.

3. hard drive wont fit under the floppy spot even if u take out all the parts that just took 2 hours to put in. :x so put it where its supose to go, sidewaze under all the drives. when i build another one i might put hd in much sooner so it can be where i want it to be. just not plug it into mb till later.

memory install was a breeze, no trubles there, but iv worked with them befor so i knew what to expect.
So now all the parts are in. Im not happy with all the big wires, i thought with the power supply i got having the casings on them it wouldnt look so messy. I am going to look for a power supply to replace this one that lets u plug in only the wires u need. humm wonder if there is a computer store local.....
anways here it is all together. I got a beep after the first power up so thats a good sign. Ill start it up tommorw when i have time to actully look at the screan and see what it says to do next.

witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:34 am

Great job! Looks good!

Don't fret the HDD placement! That's where they are supposed to go! If you place a fan on the front in front of the drives (quiet low flow), that will help cool the drives. Where you wanted to put it initially, would have lead to possible over-heating of the drive (especially that 10K rpm screamer!) with premature failure.

As far as the wire spaghetti, bundle with a zip tie (black), and tuck into an empty drive bay, since your case doesn't have much top-end space. You can always lower your optical drive into the second pay, and place your extra wires in the resulting free number 1 bay. You can also mod your wires! You can purchase connectors that would allow you to reuse your "cut wires"! (Yes I know how, and have many times).
Last edited by ProHandyman on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Next

Return to General Chat