How hard could it be? (building a computer)

just as the name says chat about anything here

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:40 am

Wire caps! never thought of just cutting them. ya they zip tied already and stuck in mt space but still... not that anyone looks in there.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:28 am

don't wire cap! if going to cut, leave enough, and "heat shrink" tube! You can even get colors! :gasp:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am

hehe just kiddin i wouldnt cut the wires. So i pluged it in this morning pushed the button and holy crap it started!! and then it said no cd to boot from put in cd and push enter. and now its installing windows. So thats it for the stuff i didnt know about building a computer. just got to install all my stuff on here from old puter then i get to learn about over clocking. yay this has been wicked cool.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 pm

May I suggest "auto patcher XP which can be found [url=http://www.autopatcher.com/whatsautopatcher/[url]Autopatcher Home[/url].

This great program lets you update all windows updates (being able to choose also), and some windows "tweaks". This allows you to gather all since SP2 was released, and update without the numerous reboots, etc. when using "windows update".

The software load is ALWAYS the most time consuming part of a new build (with the exception of a highly modified computer).

Good luck!
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:03 pm

need advice or help. when i tryed to restart it just a bit ago the start screan said to enter set up to view a h/w moniter warning. and its just been sitting all day with side off not doing much but cpu temp is 53 mb temp is 47 and the only thing that im taking as a warning cuz it was in red instead of the grayish blue of bios colors was the vcore voltage was 1.13v
i added a card reader to it today and pluged it into one of the bottum internal usb blue plugs on mb. it found it ok and didnt say it was causing truble. so im not sure why this number is in red or what this number should be. thanks for any help.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:13 pm

a google search then a visit to newegg and i found that vcore voltage is cpu voltage. so when i hooked all this up there was a little cover over 4 of the 8 prong plug in for cpu power. but my power supply unit has 2 4 prong plugs you can hook together. and me being inexperianced thought that more was better. now im not certin this is what was wrong but i unpluged and capped 4 them so now the cpu power is only pluged in with 1 4 prong plug. the voltage seams higher to me it was 1.13 and now is 1.22 but the computer seams happy with it. no more red numbers in bios and no more warnings. and temps are staying at cpu 46/ mb 43. still need to find out if these are ok numbers too.
as a side note to anyone who is reading this that may have built a computer or 2 i must sound insanly stupid but im hoping to help anyone else who gets a hair brain idea to build a computer. It seams resonably easy as long as your willing to read ALOT and ask as many questions as you can befor you get the look (ah dont have the right face here) lol :shock:
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 pm

If you have an 8 pin connector, be it solid or split, and an 8 pin socket on the motherboard, use all 8!

Not knowing all the parameters of your CPU specs, it may be running slightly out of spec. This can be caused by a faulty motherboard voltage regulater, need for an updated BIOS, or a power supply that is out of spec.

I would suggest that you download, and install the latest BIOS from Asus for your board. I would then reboot, load "optimized defaults", save and exit, then reenter the BIOS, and make any changes that you need to.

Since I'm a bit of a BIOS guru, if need be, I can read up on yours along with your hardware, and make some suggestions.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:15 am

well i dont know what happend i updated to latest bios then installed ntune
then things sorta got glitchy for a second and it crashed with bsod :cry:
then restarted and is fine now. i havent plugged the 8 prong thingy back in yet but ill do that i guess and see what happens.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:51 am

well that was really sucky i know its probly someting easy and all but i hate bsod i saw way too many of them on my laptop to find them the least bit amuzing. the mb came with a cool little race car gauge lookin thing that shows me the cpu speed voltage and tepm and all that info u need to know from bios right on windows screan and everything was running great befor i did the update. but i updated to the latest beta version and maybe it didnt like it now its not wanting to go back to what the web site is saying is the latest.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:07 am

When you say it won't roll back (the BIOS I am assuming), What error are you getting? I know with Asus boards you can freely go back and forth to any BIOS binary.

If you are using the Windows Flash method, there are some things you can generally "tick off" that will help in your flashing procedure. You may need to "clear CMOS", then reflash in DOS with some command line switches. I can build you a self extracting image for floppy or CD-ROM if need be.

As far as the nTune utility, I believe there may be some incompatability with the ASUS board. Make sure you do not run both nTune and Asus's programs at the SAME TIME!. Make sure you down load the latest of all the ASUS and nTune utilities from their respective websites.

Looking at your hardware list, we are goinng to have to set some RAM parameters manually in the BIOS. SPD timings are geneally off from the best overall settings for proper useage. This includes vDIMM, CAS, RAS, tRAS, and a few other settings if available.

Your v-core is listed in the range of 0.850V-1.3525V, so you are within the specified area. a slight tweak in that may help also.

Considering your choice of hardware, and your power supply, you may be better served with a "name brand" 600watt power supply. Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, and Enermax are all power supply manu's I would recommend (unless you can afford a PC Power and Cooling unit). A power supply that is not stabile at load can cause all kinds of trouble!

You may need to run a few benchmark programs to help me diagnosis better what may be at issue.

I'll do some research on your problem when I return home today. I have a court appearence for Soc. Sec Disability first thing.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:20 pm

no worries dont spend alot of time on it i am trying to learn from my mistakes, so maybe in 2 years when my little one in school i can get into this line of work. I was discuraged last night with the blue screan but im sure ill get it sorted. and i was running both ntune and the asus thing at once so maybe thats all it was. its been fine today i just got a new fan to add to the side panel so that mey help the temp too. but i would like to run some benchmarks if you have some dl links that would be cool need ones that will give me a place to compair them to as the numbers alone wont mean anything to me. thanks.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:14 pm

well the extra fan in the side panel made a huge diffrance the cpu is only at 40 now and system temp is 38. And its running great iv been transfering files and stuff all day on it and its been fine. it never actully came to a screaching halt last night and iv never flashed a bios befor so im wondering if i miss took what happend. or it was just glitching because i was running both of those monitor programs at once. i saw a flash of blue and white and then it rebooted on its own. I think i will leave it be for now and see how it gose. i know the bios is uptodate now and everything is going good with it.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 am

Sorry about replying late! Busy Day! Glad to hear it's running well... though I will still walk you threw a BIOS tweak or two ;-)

When I get a breather, I'll show some linkage to the common benchmarking tools, and proggies for stability testing, etc! That will be a great service for whom ever reads this thread! 8)
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:00 am

cool sounds good and here is the replacement power supply thats on the way. A bit higher watt and the cabels will be a little less unruley.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817190012
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:42 pm

new powers supply looks very nice, and it seams to be running fine. Very happy with how this turned out. I will definelty be building more :D
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat