How hard could it be? (building a computer)

just as the name says chat about anything here

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:01 am

The drive bay fan is my only concern. Usually they are very loud, or have an annoying high pitch.

My current system with all the fans cranked up sounds like a turbojet on take-off! Get's really annoying... even with a fan controller.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 pm

i guess its a little louder than normal but i dont notice it after a few minutes of sitting by it.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:13 pm

lol cant hear much over the 10k rpm hd really. its much louder than any of the fans.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:20 pm

Just built my second computer and i must say pushing the power button for the first time is still wicked cool. and scary all at the same time. much less scary this time cuz i built a normal human computer not a crazy expensive one. and on this one i learned id much rather buy retail cpu's that come with a fan and the proper mounting stuff with lots of instructions, than OEM versions. This time i went AMD and it was oem so i had to get a seprate fan and it was 939 socket? and just screwing the fan on seamed so hilly nilly after the percision installation of intell fan and heatsink. and it took 2 tryes to get the heatsink compound right. the first time i thought it was thin enough but could see it sqwishing out under fan when i tightend it down so i took it off and cleaned both the heatsink and cpu and just applyed a drop in the middle and let the tighting heatsink distribute it evenly. so far with no fans mounted in case besides cpu fan and power supply fan its staying cool enough. so i will add a fan front and back and call it good.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:31 pm

that did the trick put a fan in back and one in front and its runnin in low 30s so im happy
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:02 pm

Good to see your learning quickly! Fans in front are best used in front of the hard drives. I have seen little increase in case cooling when using a good rear fan.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:10 pm

yep they not big ones but it dosnt need them and front one is right in front of hd so it seams like a happy computer even though the cpu grease stuff worried me a bit. i kinda thought i liked the all ready set pattern but its alot easyer than i thought to put it in and it be right. less is better for sure with that stuff.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Yes, too much can be as bad as not enough. I myself put a small amounton the base of the heatsink... work it in covering the area the area that will contact the CPU, and wiping off excess so that only a "haze" remains. I then apply a small dab in the center of the CPU, place the heatsink in place, "wiggle" it side to side, then tighten it down. I immediately remove the heatsink and check the "contact area", and if OK... set down, "wiggle", and retighten.

As soon as I get my photos uploaded to a "image depository" or site that allows a work-log with uploads, I will start a work log of my current build here. :wink:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:54 pm

you really wiggle it and take it back off? after reading way to much on cpu goop those were the only 2 things all of them said not to do. but im thinking that they all are making moutins out of mole hills. The cpu i put on with the form fitted cpu goop i had to load up with fans and the one i kinda guestamated on and then cleaned off and redid runs crazy cool. so i donno but thats funny that you do it that way. i was a nurvous wreck trying not to move the heatsink fan i had to put on with a screwdriver lol and that goop is slippery.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 pm

"Wiggling" in a back and forth motion before locking down is recommended by half the people who do it all the time. You can't tell whether your getting good contact unless you remove it. If you remove it, you can remove the paste from your IHS (CPU), and just buff clean the HSF base, then put the same amount back on the way you did just previous, and fasten down!

I only do removals for new HSFs I'm not familiar with, or a system I have before me with cooling issues. Some pastes tell you to do the HSF base buff, then put a drop on the cpu (about the size of a lg wheat grain). Others tell you to rub in on both surfaces, then "skim off" with a straight edge like an old credit card. The "liquid" type you just brush on and press down.

I'm not sold on the "wheat grain" thing, but the integrated heat spreaders do react differently then a bare core. But no matter... you need an even, thin, complete coverage of the cpu and heatsink.

(when I refer to "wiggling", i mean in a back and forth motion, not a "rocking" motion on the cpu. This helps to dirtibute the paste/goo out, espeacially when using the wheat grain method (Artic Silver Alumina))
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:55 pm

well i had a hard time getting the heat sink back off when i redid it cuz they made such a good connection so i ended up doing it just like that without even knowin that was the best way. cool :D
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:37 am

Gives you that 'giggly feeling" when you get it right, doesn't it? :P
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:27 am

lol, ya it dose.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:51 am

Folks, Witchy has been bitten by the geek bug, and the venom dose is massive! :shock:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:15 pm

this is the 2nd build not as fancy but runs nice. b4 card reader and drawer were added.

witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat