How hard could it be? (building a computer)

just as the name says chat about anything here

Postby ProHandyman on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Glad it's working out well for you! 8)

I'll get those linkages as soon as I get a breath!
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:43 pm

no worries for now its running Vangaurd like a champ, that alone is a monster feat. :wink: wow i gotta find the normal wink this guy a bit outta place now.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 am

He's Fine! He's the sites Parte' Guy!!! :lol:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby Naysa on Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:38 pm

you did a terrific job!!!
Naysa
tadpole
tadpole

Postby h3rb on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 am

My little computer geek is now all grown up :D I guess when I move back home there will be no need for me to fix your PC issues anymore. Although, I thought I taught you better. INHELL????? What were you thinkin momma.

You did a great job and I am proud of you.
h3rb
tadpole
tadpole

Postby witchy on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:40 pm

i read all the info on both intell and amd and atm intell is a better choice. now befor you freak out, lol ,after i was done building it craig got me a copy of some fancy computer mag and they did a build to "show us how" and they used the same parts i did. and im pretty sure they didnt come here to get the parts list 8)
but honestly i went with that processer cuz for the price and its oc abilities it seamed like the best choice. lol now i just have to get up the nerve to actully over clock it. to a 3.0 like the reviews say you can. but i must say the asus mother board made this all a really easy project.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:05 pm

I have been an AMD person since the K6-3 days!Even my two current builds are an Athlon XP, and S939 Opteron. HOWEVER, if I was to build from scratch with no parts sitting here at the moment... IT'S a no brainer Intel Core2 Dual!

Only reason to go AMD right now is price, and that may only save you $200 (though the NVidia and AMD/ATI platforms are more mature then on the Intel side of things).

When AMD's AM3 socket comes out, along with "Barcelona", maybe things will swing to AMD again... even if it comes out a tie, if AMD canmeet or be less in price... long wait to the Holiday Season! :wink:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:06 pm

by request more pics
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:10 pm

witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:12 pm

not quite finished still have a drawer to install and a drive bay fan. ill take another pic after that.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:31 pm

K now its finished. not happy with the wire mess but i guess iv learned from it. next time buy a full size case. This one is a mid size and i have the room so id definetly buy bigger one next time i think with the grafix cards as big as they are now it would make the air flow much better in a larger box. so anyways here is the finishd pics. I added a card reader, a drawer (very handy place to keep discs incase of emergencys) and a fan that goes into one of the drive bays. as there wasnt any place else to add a fan and i wasnt happy with the idle temps. i dont know why, it never complained but now its cooler so its all good. the white thingy is the bay fan and it is nice it blows right in on the memory too so they getting a nice breeze. it came as an exaust fan but was easily converted to blow air in instead. the result of adding the fan was cpu went from 47 idle temp to 43 and system temp went from 41 to 34.

more of fan

and the front. (ya it didnt come in black) well it did but out of stock.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:36 pm

If you ever get the desire... I can hold a how to wire your case clinic for you! :wink: As far as the issue with airflow, that cab be handled a bit better with a case side addition of a "blow hole". Again, being the modder that I am, I have the tools to this modification too! Some cases don't get the proper airflow, and yours must be one of them.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:12 pm

well unless u mean one on the side that wouldnt ever have a hole its got 2 holes on the normal side u take off one gose right to cpu with a tube the other vented one has a fan pullin air out.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:15 pm

I had to go back threw the thread, look at pictures, then go find a few pics of your case to familiarize myself with the airflow, and fan useage/size.

First, glad to see you used a 120mm fan on the rear i/o panel and that it is blowing out. Not sure what you are using, but you may want to go with a higher CFM fan, such as a [url=http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html[url]Scythe S-Flex[/url] med or high speed

Second, the fan in front of the hard drives. This fan should be blowing in, and can be a low cfm fan. To high, and it will be noisey. A [url=http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=9&lng=en[url]Noctua NF-R8[/url]would be perfect here (quiet).

Third, the "case side" fan should be blowing in; and again I would use a low or medium cfm fan (quiet).

Fourth, that fan duct! hopefully it's fairly close to the HSF. That is when it is most benificial. Because you do have such a large graphics card, I would get a mount, and use a fan parallel to the motherboard, blowing down on the memory, etc. An [url=http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75018#[url]Antec Spot Cool[/url] is the perfect fan for this setup. If the proper setup cannot be found, my next resort would be to add a blow-hole to the right of the cpu duct, again blowing in with a low to medium cfm fan (quiet).

OK, enough rambling now and sounding like a college professor! :roll:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:21 am

lol , no worries i think its in good shape now i have 3 120 mm fans doing what they should be the bay fans the psu fan and the cpu fan and it runs good so ill leave it unless it starts complaining.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat