Windows vista

just as the name says chat about anything here

Windows vista

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:06 pm

lots of cool crap in it, and its pretty if u have a grafix card that can run diretx 10 but so far iv had to uninstall 2 programs and one is just refuzing to work and my printer is not happy. but hey i can play sodoku on my desktop :) still not sure if i like it or not. all the important stuff is workin, well except for the printer of course.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby witchy on Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:25 pm

well after reinstallin printer drivers 43 times it works untill i reboot so not so usefull. and motorola phone tools is being diffacult and wont work. and its very hard to navagate i liked having a list of options on the left. not sure yet if ill stick with it or not. so far besides the sodoku on desktop being able to burn dvds without extra softwear is nice but it seams i need to upgrade from buissness to ultamite to have formatting options so disks will work in dvd players that arnt part of a computer. missing xp a bit.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA! Told you you should have dual booted! :P :lol:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 am

lol its getting better and iv got all my crap working again so i think it can stay.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:29 pm

I was a beta tester for XP, but I "dual booted" my Win982Me and XP pro. Was almost 9 months before I could move everything over due to many driver incompatabilities, need to buy some new peripherals, and a few software incompatabilities(waiting for updates/upgrades).

I still dual boot due to a few old "classic" games I enjoy playing that are just a "no-go" on XP. However, I am getting ready to play with "DOS-Box" to see if I can get them to run. If so, I will just move my 98 partition into a virtual machine for tech support reasons.
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby RedMan on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:45 pm

RedMan
pollywog
pollywog

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:45 pm

lol are they speeking english? i dont understand what its trying to say.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RedMan on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, and OS/2. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications—instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers.
RedMan
pollywog
pollywog

Postby witchy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:30 pm

huh. well thats pretty freakin slick. so u like open a window to a diffrent os? kinda?
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Exactly! Open another OS in a window. (Hint: You need LOTS of RAM to work the best!!!)

NOTE: OSes like WinXP and Vista are locked to hardware... so you cannot load your copy of WinXP into a virtual machine, unless that's the only place you want to use it.

That's why I have my computer upon boot offer me a choice of which OS I want to boot into. This way I can even have multiple incidences of an OS like winXP (I know, breaks the EULA), so that I can trial or try over-clocking maximums without worry of corrupting my main OS partition!
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby RedMan on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:39 pm

That's it. You could have Windows 98 or whichever running in a window right there on your Vista desktop. It's not limited to just Windows operating systems either.
RedMan
pollywog
pollywog

Postby ProHandyman on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 pm

Not at all! I find it safer to play with Linux (such as Ububtu) or one of the other flavors in a VM, rather then let grub /LILO or someother bootstrap manager that really screw up my Windows boot mgrs. Guess that's why there are third party boot managers! :roll:
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 pm

dose anyone know id i should be able to format dvd's to play in dvd players instead of just in computers? or is that only on the ultimate vista?
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ProHandyman on Thu May 03, 2007 12:16 am

any properly prepared video file can play in stand alone DVD players... however, if vista is burning in a WMP type format, then it will only play there (DRM infested OS! Grrrrrr!).
ProHandyman
frog
frog

Postby witchy on Thu May 03, 2007 6:45 am

well in the help topic while burning dvds it says to format it a certin way but when i go to do that the choice is greyed and you cant choose it so im not sure if i have a setting wrong or if i need to upgrade to use the feature.
witchy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat